Last time I wrote about simple ways to increase the number of fans on your Facebook Fanpage. This week I would like to zoom in on one of them that is very appealing as I read that implementing this solution can dramatically improve your Facebook Fan conversion rate!
I would like to discuss the Welcom Tab on your Facebook Fanpage. How do you make that tab? Here is a step by step approach!
Learn how to create your custom Facebook Fanpage welcome tab in three general steps!
1. HOW DO I CREATE MY CUSTOM FACEBOOK FANPAGE TAB?
- Go to your facebook fanpage
- Once you are at your fanpage, type “Static FBML” into your searchbox and click the Static FBML application
- On the Static FBML page you click “Add to my page“, here you can select on what Fanpage you would like to see the FBML, Select the correct Fanpage (if you have more than one).
- Once added it appears as an extra tab on your Facebook Fanpage.
- Go to “Edit my page” on the Fanpage
- Select applications in the lefthand submenu
- Select “Go to application” underneath the Static FBML header and insert Static FBML to create your page.
2. HOW DO I MAKE MY STATIC FBML CONTENT?
To customize your tab you need to have knowledge of Static FBML, the Facebook Markup Language that is pretty similar to basic HTML. There ar a lot of websites that provide guidance in Static FBML [see some links underneath this post]. Here are some basic codes you will need:
Add clickable images to your custom Facebook Fanpage tab.
You should first upload your images to a server like Photobucket or Picasa. Make sure your photo’s are shared publicly on your account. After that use the following code:
<a href=”http://xxxxx” mce_href=”http://xxxxx” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://yyyyy” mce_src=”http://yyyyy” width=”##px” height=”##px”border=”0? alt=” “></a>
Add YouTube movies to your custom Facebook Fanpage tab
The first thing you need to do is to make an image that can be illustrated to your fans of your video. Facebook first shows people this image. When a visitor clicks this image, to start the video, Facebook ‘replaces’ your image for the YouTube video. This is somewhat different from what you might be used to. Normally you just embed the video without a ‘starting image’. Facebook however requires you to make an image of your video first. I always make a screenshot of the video with a “Play” button in front of it. I upload this image to my Picasa account.
Here is the code you can use:
<fb:swf swfbgcolor=”000000” imgstyle=”border-width:##px; border-color:white;” swfsrc=”http://www.youtube.com/v/xxxxx” imgsrc=”http://img.youtube.com/vi/xxxxx/2.jpg” width=”520? height=”400? />
You can now edit your page! As you will see the starting tab on your Facebook Fanpage is your wall. You now just have to change this to your custom facebook fanpage tab.
3. HOW DO I MAKE MY CUSTOM FACEBOOK FANPAGE TAB THE DEFAULT LANDING TAB?
- Go to “Edit my page“
- Select “Manage Permissions” in the lefthand submenu
- Select your custom welcome tab in “Default Landing Tab for Everyone Else“. From now on visitors who visit your Facebook Fanpage will first see this welcome tab.
Now you have your custom Facebook Fanpage to welcome your (potential) fans. Next time I will give you some inspiration on how to use your welcome page to achieve higher fan conversion rates! In the meanwhile… experiment with your welcome tab!
Some interesting links for FMBL: